|HOME CONTACT US LINKS MEDCOM ARMY.MIL AKO SEARCH|
|OFFICE OF MEDICAL HISTORY AMEDD REGIMENT AMEDD MUSEUM|
About the Museum
The Museum's History
The original U.S. Army Medical Museum was founded as a research facility in Washington, D.C., in 1862. Today, the institution is known as the National Museum of Health and Medicine of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. In 1920, our Museum was re-established at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania, with the Medical Field Service School. In 1946, the School and Museum were transferred to Fort Sam Houston, Texas. In 1955, the Museum received its designation as the U.S. Army Medical Department Museum from the Surgeon General of the Army.
In 1978, the AMEDD Museum Foundation was established by concerned individuals to raise funds for a new museum facility. Built with private donations raised by the Foundation, the present AMEDD Museum officially opened its doors in July, 1989, and ownership was transferred to the U.S. Government. The building is in the "Spanish Revival" architectural style, with a mission tile roof and fountain courts, in keeping with the historic buildings at Fort Sam. Large stone medallions representing the seals of the six commissioned corps, enlisted corps, and civilian corps decorate the facade.
The Museum Today
Since its dedication in 1989, the U.S. Army Medical Department Museum has continued to enhance its reputation as one of the most outstanding facilities of its kind in the world as an ideal venue for the restoration, preservation and exhibition of significant historic medical items. Military medical artifacts and memorabilia are proudly displayed in an environment that blends visualization of history with the appropriate presentation of the Army's contributions to medicine during times of both war and peace. It serves as a living reference library and research facility for students of all ages who have an interest in military medicine. It also augments the training of the more than 36,000 military and civilian students who attend the U.S. Army Academy of Health Sciences at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, each year.
Built solely by the AMEDD Museum Foundation through private donations, Phase I and II construction of Museum buildings were completed in 1989 and 1998. Phase III construction was completed in Fall 2001, and houses the archival Artifact Repository. Recently acquired artifacts contributed to the Museum through the Foundation are a 1955 Willys MD-A, M170 Front Line Ambulance, an H13 D Model (Korean War) helicopter, and a UH1 Huey from the early Vietnam War.
The Museum is located at 3898 Stanley Road, Bldg 1046. Admission is free. Hours of operation are 10:00 am - 4:00 pm, Tuesday-Saturday. The Museum is closed Sundays, Mondays and Federal holidays. For more information, call 210-221-6358/6277 or FAX 210-221-6781.